Monday, May 16, 2011

nostalgia


I've noticed a heightened appreciation for nostalgia recently. Just this week, I've seen links to:
Plus, today I found this blog that collected childhood memories from its readers. I was almost in tears. AND THEN, "Too Close" by Next came on the radio. Is the universe trying to make me feel old?

On a related note, I rescued a favorite old toy from my childhood bedroom a few weeks ago:


My Talkboy -- a toy invented for the greatest movie ever, Home Alone 2 -- was well loved, if you couldn't tell. But I didn't even use it for the normal mischief it was intended for. No way, I had no brothers and sisters to torment, so my Talkboy's main purpose was to record pretend auditions for my singing career. A LOT of Little Mermaid was recorded on that thing.

This commercial makes me happy. It reminds me of flipping through the wonderfully fat Toys R Us Christmas catalog. And strangely enough, it feels like this commercial was just on TV yesterday.



Soo... am I the only loser child who spent hours alone in her bedroom singing Part of Your World into her Talkboy? What was your favorite 90s toy?

5 comments:

  1. wow I actually remembered what was going to happen in this one!

    My favorite 90s toys: SuperSoaker, and the ORIGINAL gameboy, with the gigantic light/magnifying attachment and the monochrome screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it weird about the commercial? I knew exactly what was going to happen and I really do remember it like it was yesterday.

    I still have an original Gameboy... (with the Home Alone 2 game... I was obsessed) I should pull it out on a plane or something and see if anyone says anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was obsessed with my TalkBoy. And I didn't bother with the "TalkGirl" nonsense that was pink and purple. It was either the one Kevin McAllister had, or no dice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - we had the same American Girl doll :)

    ReplyDelete