Monday, May 30, 2011

I'll miss you...


This weekend was med school graduation, which means a few things: first of all, it means that several people that I've known for way too long to take seriously are now doctors (i.e. Scary Spice in the 7th grade talent show). It also means that we have almost exactly one year left here.



This countdown elicits something different in everyone who moves around for a spouse's job. Of course for many of us it means HOLYCRAPMYHUSBANDWILLBEADOCTOR (breath) ANDTHAT'SSLIGHTLYWEIRDSLASHKINDOFCOOL. For some med school families it doesn't mean much other than that. They're happy where they are and the med student will confidently apply to the program at their current school and with only slight anxiety, assume that's where they'll stay. For some people it's awful, they'll have to leave a place they've come to love.


Us? Well, we're ecstatic. We hope to end up someplace completely different - a place with snow, mountains, and/or tall buildings... a place where people walk from point A to point B without getting funny looks. Maybe a place where we won't have to explain what "Jewish" is.

As hard as it may be to believe, I don't hate it here. No, it isn't my favorite place in the whole world, but I was never expecting to live in my favorite place in the whole world - a patisserie in Paris, the coast of Ireland, the Met, or Epcot.

all we really need, right?

In an effort to prove this to you (and maybe myself) and to document our last year here, this week I'm going to start featuring a year's worth of things I'll miss. Some will be important, others will be the little things, some will probably be sarcastic. But they will all be here. And for now, they're all home.


{1, 2, 3, 4}

4 comments:

  1. I'm counting down the days (ok, months) to Russ' med school graduation...we're at 12 haha. We're so excited to go somewhere closer to home, somewhere a little more "familiar".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an adventure! It's only beginning. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bf started his intern year and we now are on a 1 year countdown till we move to ATL.... scary but I am trying to take this year all in, with friends and family and my current home for the past 27 years.

    Good luck to you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh good luck to you and Y! Where is he thinking about applying?? Yale...? :)

    ReplyDelete