Thursday, September 1, 2011

Am I Male: When applying for residency makes you crazy

Today, Y asked me when his birthday was. 

He was perfecting his application for residency, and that particular question was about the 4983059430th ridiculous question I was asked (others included "Am I male?"). So I did what I should have done after the first few questions: marched over to his computer and submitted the stupid application myself. 

Y applied to 25 programs. Here's what happens next: within the week, residency programs could start replying, offering Y an interview. The interviews take place from mid-October to January, and for those 4 months it's a giant game of Where in the World is Y.

I'm a sucker for any kind of map art, and when I saw this United States bulletin board on design*sponge a year ago, I bookmarked it immediately for the very purpose of keeping track of applications. (Remember bookmarking? That's what people did before Pinterest, kids.) 


Unlike most of the craft projects I bookmark/pin, this one actually happened.







The legend (which Y claims is "legend.....ary") explains: a black pin means he applied, a white pin means they offered him an interview, and a red pin means he accepted the interview. 

 The application went out 15 hours ago and everything is back to normal. Y is confident about his date of birth and his gender again. But we have noticed an increased heart rate and jumpiness every time he gets an e-mail. That will stop soon, though... right?


10 comments:

  1. i remember the frequent email checks after the med school applications. it's really quite cruel. at least the sprint to the mailbox can only really happen once a day. waiting for that one email in your fifty daily emails is such a bummer.

    yay for apps being out! i'll be thinking white pin thoughts for you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I see lots of pins on the east coast!
    Let us know if y'all are headed this way!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!!!! We got so excited when they started to come in. And really try to go to as many as you can afford cause I swear that it was the best 3 months of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm...so I hope you don't mind if I copy this awesome idea! I think it's a great idea that makes this process a little fun ;)
    Russ is pushing the "submit" button this afternoon....EEEEK! I honestly cannot wait but I think I'm more anxious and jumpy then he is! Poor guy has to put up with me! haha
    Have a WONDERFUL weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - such an exciting and stressful time!

    What makes it worse is that programs don't respond at the same time.

    Anyway, good luck to you and Y!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are a genius - i love this.

    & if i'm not mistaken, i see some pins in the north carolina/south carolina vicinity... we may end up being east coast neighbors...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love your map! Such a cute, decorative organizational tool. I would definitely do this if I had an ounce of crafty knowhow in my body. :)

    Best of luck with your applications!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah!
    So stressful!!
    But such a good idea with the map :) Put a little fun into the whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, exciting and nerve-wracking all at once. I adore your map though - what a fun idea! (Though it probably would have just freaked me out more to have one - my hubby applied to like 50 places since his field is super competitive.) And hang in there - it's stressful to wait for those interview emails, but you have to ignore the other students that are getting them (since different specialties send them out at different times, and so do different programs!). It will help your sanity :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG. your map is amazing. I thought of doing a map when we finally get to this stage....but the cork USA is AWESOME.

    Sorry about all the stress though, it blows I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete