Monday, September 19, 2011

101 in 1001: Austin City Limits





scenes on South Congress






Confession: I started one of those 101 in 1001 to-do lists last week.



I know I'm, what, 2 years late to this party? But I had a great reason: September 15, 2011 was exactly 1001 days until my 30th birthday. I can't think of a better thing to count down to than my impending senior citizenship.


Just kidding. But 30 is kind of scary, considering I feel 16 about 99% of the time.


Anyway, I think rather than sharing my 101/1001 list here, I'll just be sure to tell you when I check something off, like I did this past weekend: attend a music festival.


Even though I've been to Jazzfest in New Orleans twice, I felt like I had never had an actual music festival experience. My first time, I was a senior in high school and was only allowed to be there for a few hours. We got there just in time to stand at the back of a Dave Matthews concert, and left immediately after. My freshman year in college I went back, armed with a Sharpie-d shirt that said "WE <3 U JOHN MAYER" which I'd like to pretend never existed.


I've always wanted to go to Austin City Limits, and I knew next year I might not have the luxury of a relatively short car ride. So I went.








We heard Ray LaMontagne, whose voice was -- as the girl behind us correctly noted -- like butter despite his lack of personality (made up for by his sassy sign language interpreter). Dehydrated and hungry, we stood in the middle of a haze of smoke listening to Foster the People. We arrived early for Sara Bareilles and ended up front and center; she played her song "Let the Rain" on guitar and when she threw her pick into the crowd, it landed on my foot. She and her band busted out the accordion for a perfect cover of Mumford and Sons' "Little Lion Man". 


I stood in the middle of the park with "Love Lockdown" in my left ear and "Viva La Vida" in my right ear as people streamed back and forth, trying to decide which concert to see. We eventually ended up at Kanye West, in the middle of thousands of white people in tight jeans and fedoras yelling we want prenup!



I only made it to ACL for one day, but I'd say I had a pretty great music festival experience. I can't wait to go back to Austin and I'm mildly obsessed with this little video of the trip I made using the 8 mm camera app and iMovie:












6 comments:

  1. I agree with Drew - I love your video! So cute and looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Mayer really, you must have had some really dorky friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was an awesome time! Austin is on the top of my list of cool cities I'd like to visit... I hear it's really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah! this looks like so much fun. love you movie, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: sooo glad i'm not the only one that still feels 16 :D

    ReplyDelete