Thursday, July 21, 2011

couch potatoes



In the summer, when our handful of television shows are off the air, we tend to overcompensate. We start at the beginning of a series we've never seen, watch it obsessively, send back to Netflix and repeat. Not surprisingly, we have tv on the brain.

Specifically, we have Parks and Rec on the brain. Everything Aziz Ansari does makes me laugh, so I'm not sure why we just recently started watching. And Leslie's love interest in Season 3 made me giddy in a Jim/Pam or Logan/Veronica way (Any Veronica Mars fans out there?).

Our recent Parks and Rec marathon explains the following situation. The other night at approximately 2 am, Y must have been having a dream that I ran off with Rob Lowe. I assume this because he rolled over and mumbled, "Are you going to leave me for Rob Lowe?"

Without missing a beat I replied -- while pretty much still asleep, mind you -- "I would lit-rally never do that."

And the following situation can't really be explained. Y has been speaking to a secretary at the school where he was planning to do an away rotation. I asked him what she sounded like (because I saw her picture and needed a voice to match to her face, I'm weird like that). He replied, "Harriet."

I cocked my head. "Harriet?"

He rolled his eyes. "Harriet. Duh. Winslow. From Family Matters."



Which brings us to something I've been wondering since we had this conversation: when you reference a character from a sitcom that was on over 15 years ago, can you really just use a first name?



Speaking of tv, and speaking of Y's away rotation, I have recently removed ER from my Netflix queue. More on that later. In its place we've been watching Scrubs, which I've heard is the most true to life medical show out there. We just finished episode 4, where JD sleeps with a patient. So...yeah...


8 comments:

  1. Tis true that the medical folks prefer Scrubs. It's the only one J will watch. Don't think you have anything to worry about with Y and his patients :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. scrubs is fantastic. i've watched some parks and rec and liked it a lot (i need to start at the beginning). but lately (and especially with the husband away) it's been breaking bad, 30 rock, and project runway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love scrubs! b watches house and then just tells me how everything on there would never really happen...i'd rather watch scrubs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May be available on Netflix if they settled with STARZ ... Party Down: Season 1 (2009)
    While waiting for their big breaks in show business, several Hollywood wannabes pay the bills by working at a Los Angeles catering company, led by big-dreaming team leader Ron (Ken Marino), in this sitcom created by "Veronica Mars" impresario Rob Thomas. The series also stars Adam Scott as a one-hit wonder, Martin Starr as dorky screenwriter, Jane Lynch as a flirty fading actress and Lizzy Caplan as an aspiring comedian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, seriously, you've never seen Scrubs?!?! I have, like, every episode memorized and I have no ties to the medical world whatsoever. It's the only med-themed show I watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, I know - I'm so late on getting into Scrubs. Don't get me wrong, I've caught episodes here and there and know everyone by name.

    Drew - don't worry, I wasn't suggesting I was worried about Y sleeping with patients, lol. I was commenting that maybe Scrubs wasn't QUITE as realistic as they all say it is.

    I need to check out Party Down! Ben from Parks and Rec, Rob Thomas, Sue Sylvester, AND Janis Ian from Mean Girls? How could it be bad??

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's so funny because I do the same thing and my series I just watched in its entirety was "Scrubs." I kind of hated it at first but then I loved it...also wait until the later seasons when Aziz is on it! Here's some vintage Aziz for you that is hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9q30Ce2vwE

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog via the comments on dancing Branflakes (you know how these things go...). This post just made me laugh out loud. Love a good family matters reference!

    ReplyDelete