Monday, December 30, 2013

Louisiana road trip



There's a highway that takes you from central Louisiana to south Louisiana, a highway that I've driven more times than I can remember. I can tell you which bathroom smells the best. I can clue you in to where the police are hidden just waiting to pull you over. I know which gas stations have Starbucks Frappucino drinks, and which only have Red Bull.  

Usually this highway is a means to an end; just another leg of a long, boring drive. But this time, in our rental car that smelled of stale smoke and a desperate whiff of "new car smell" air freshener, we decided to treat it like a proper road trip.

Which, let's be honest, just means that I took out my camera.

Rule #1 of road trips: you don't choose your road trip music... it chooses you.



These abandoned FEMA trailers have been sitting on the side of the highway for years. 


Good sunglasses are a must. Many thanks to Y's dad for donating these slightly used (read: have been run over by a lawnmower) Ray Ban wayfarers. 


Sugarcane fields as far as the eye can see. 


My road trip partner in crime -- we've driven across the country together twice (and then some) and still kind of like each other.

 

 My only complaint is that he never lets me stop for roadside fruit.


1 comment:

  1. You don't choose road trip music, it chooses you. Truer words have never been blogged.

    ReplyDelete