Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Things that are awkward



1. I'm not big on talking on the phone. I never have been, not even when I had a Sabrina the Teenage Witch phone, where Salem the Cat alerted me that the phone was going to ring before it actually happened. (I was not fooled; I knew Salem's voice was just replacing the first ring.)

Lately it's gotten to the point where the only person I speak to on the phone is Y. We tend to say I love you at the end of a conversation -- no matter how mundane --  and it's become a habit.

Which I guess is sweet, but now every time I talk on the phone to someone else, I'm terrified that I'll say I love you at the end of the phone call. On work-related phone calls, I could be talking about an article I need to write, or a message I need to relay, but all I can hear is my inner voice chanting don't say I love you, don't say I love you, don't say I love you. 

2. While taking a group exercise class recently, the teacher yelled, NOW SPEED SKATE! Everyone broke into some kind of synchronized movement that looked vaguely familiar from the last Winter Olympics, but that I can only imagine you are taught shortly after learning to walk in Minnesota. I did jumping jacks.


Don't worry, though, I'm learning. (sidenote: I need a better photographer to follow me around Minneapolis. Y just isn't cutting it anymore.)





3. The other night, I got out of bed in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. When I got back in bed, Y rolled over, said something unintelligible (probably about some patient's vital signs), but then -- very clearly -- called me Kim.

My first, half asleep thought was that I hoped he was having a dream that he was Kanye West. Then I fell asleep.

The next day I remembered what had happened, and the following conversation ensued. I think all of you children of the 90s will agree that Y's attempt to explain himself was just weak:



10 comments:

  1. Last week, I told the pest control guy I loved him at the end of our phone conversation. I panicked and hung up before I could explain myself.

    Are you and I, like, the same person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire the fact that you go to group exercise classes to begin with! And I love that you did jumping jacks. I probably would have pretended to tie my shoes or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - my inner voice chants the same thing every time I am on the phone with a customer. hahaha I've NEVER done it before, but have had other people say "i love you' to me. Once it was a lady - and she called back to apologize..haha

    I'm also laughing that your husband came up with DJ Tanner rather than Kanye West...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jared and I email each other from work sometimes, and we end all of our emails with some variation of, "K, LOVE YOU BYYYYE." A few weeks ago I got an email from a soldier that I work with that said, "Ma'am, not to be rude, but your last email was kind of strange and inappropriate." I looked down and I had signed my email to THE SOLDIER with "K, LOVE YOU MMMKAY BUH BYE." OMG how embarassing. The worst is that I wrote him back about how sorry I was and how FUNNY the mix up was, but it was dead silence from him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DJ really? You're right-she would have never swayed from the Kimmy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahaha. she definitely never would have called kimmy 'kim.'

    ReplyDelete
  7. he should have gone with the kanye story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, I want your Salem the Cat phone. What *does* speed skating look like?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That texting conversation. Yes. 100 times yes. I love it. DJ Tanner and Kimmy Gibbler. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete