Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fun with packing, part 2




We recently made a pretty big decision in our moving process. Instead of paying a few thousand dollars for movers or renting a truck, we decided to get rid of all of our stuff and move with little to nothing. Which means that for five hours last Saturday, our driveway was an Ikea outlet, as well as a place to get very highly sought after movie memorabilia. 





And let me tell you, it feels amazing to be rid of all the stuff we accumulated. It makes me want to never buy anything again and live without anything, in an empty wooden box like Pete Campbell.


Except when I remember that our new house is 5 minutes away from an Ikea. And a Crate and Barrel. And, um, the Mall of America where I can purchase ANYTHING in the history of things. There's an entire store devoted to PEEPS, for heavens sake. 


And then I get excited to shop for more stuff. It's a vicious cycle.


But back to our garage sale. 


We kept the important stuff, like wedding presents, favorite books, sentimental photos, and canine companions.



I'm not quite sure what he's doing with his teeth, but it kills me. It just might be my new favorite Ike face.



9 comments:

  1. This is what I want to do when we move from NY but J isn't on board with selling stuff and starting over again. He wasn't raised with the "start over" mentality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll be able to do it again, honestly. I want to start choosing wisely and only choosing things that I'll want to keep forever. (yeah right, I'll let you know how that goes) At this point in our lives, though, we just had low end Ikea stuff and second generation hand me downs, so it was easy to get rid of it all.

      Delete
  2. So....did you get the $750 for the hat ;)

    If the boyfriend and I ever decided to sell all of our stuff - it would most certainly look like an Ikea outlet. Also - you're Pete Campbell reference was wonderful. Are you a Mad Men fan as well? LOVE that show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to move small and start fresh!

    I live by the Mall of America, and let me tell you, it can definitely be dangerous sometimes (you know, in terms of spending ridiculous amounts of money and collecting more things that you don't need). After a while you get better at going there just for certain things - but when they have almost anything you could need, it's easy to get sidetracked :) But still - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, getting rid of stuff is one of my most favorite things. Might be a borderline disorder, but...sure beats the kinds of disorders caused by packing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! It also beats the social disorders caused by NOT getting rid of stuff.

      Delete
  5. we've been doing some major donating/selling lately and it feels AMAZING. Although now all I can think about is replacing those items with new items (to us).

    like you said, a vicious cycle. but it sure does feel good for the time being.

    And Ike's new face? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhaha. those teeth ... those teeth are saying 'mom, get this dang sign off my back'. so stinking cute.

    ReplyDelete