Wednesday, December 14, 2011

interview trail: midwest stop #2









Y is a different sort of traveler than I am. I'm the kind of airplane passenger who puts my headphones on or buries my nose in a book immediately after sitting down. I don't care where you're from, 16A, I don't care where you're going, and I don't want to tell you what I'm reading. Unless you have a baby. If you have a baby, I want to hold it and then give it back to you as soon as it starts crying so no one thinks I am that person with a crying baby on a plane.


Y, on the other hand, comes home with a person's first and last name, where they went to elementary school, and the latest argument they had with their wife. During layovers, he dines in airport bars with plane-friends. On this trip, someone from Y's flight was staying at his hotel and they went out to lunch. I DON'T GET IT.






-----


When Y told me he got this interview, I gave him the so-called stinkface, a term coined by Katie. I had never even considered visiting this particular state or city, much less living there. But then the following things happened:

  • the city's standard Wikipedia page made it sound amazing.
  • every single person I mentioned it to told me I would love it. 
  • part of our criteria for ranking is Ike's reaction when we say the name of the state.* When I asked Ike if he wanted to live there he did this:


My point is, don't completely write off a place just because you wouldn't go there for a girls' weekend. 

----

A theme of Y's interview travels: call people you haven't spoken to in 3 and a half years and ask to stay with them when you visit their respective cities. You get a free night and get to catch up with an old friend. And they get an unexpected houseguest who smells vaguely like a hospital. Win win.




*kidding. Isn't it sad that I had to clarify that? 

4 comments:

  1. i'm the same kind of traveler as you - i can only think of one time i've EVER talked to someone on a plane. i'd rather just mind my own business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you as well - I always get stuck in the most awkward conversations so I've learned to keep my mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HATE talking to people on planes. I value Ike's opinion on where you guys are moving. :) B and I ask The Bean if she's excited to live in California all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of a mix of the two types of travelers. Sometimes I end up talking to someone the whole flight and other times I'm the girl with her headphones in, Kindle out and lost to the world. (Except to ask for a Coke, please. )

    ReplyDelete