Thursday, December 1, 2011

fashion, or lack thereof

On occasion I work with a colleague named L. The first time I met L he told me my outfit was very "Anne Hathaway".  I knew we'd get along.

L lightens the mood around our office when he's in town, rearranging office furniture and picture frames,  reminding everyone of important facts like Madonna's daughter's name (Lourdes, duh), making me mix cds featuring "Rock DJ" and "Suddenly I See".

He recently made an appearance at my office door, saw me, and nodded approvingly. "CUTE!" he declared. I held my breath. I was wearing an outfit I had been itching to recreate after seeing it on Matchbook's Tumblr, and was anxious to find out if it would receive the coveted "Anne Hathaway" designation.



L took in the ensemble, a look of approval still on his face. "Is that a skirt or an apron?" he asked.


I squinted my eyes at him from across my office. We were surrounded by computers and filing cabinets, not an oven or sink in sight. "An apron?"


He shrugged. "It kind of looks like an apron. It's not one?"


"You thought I got out of bed and decided to wear an apron to work today?"


"Bu-"


"You complimented my outfit even though you thought it might be an apron?"

He was confused by my confusion. I let it go.


Moral of the story: if worse comes to worst and you need to wear an apron to work, I will look at you funny and ask you about your apron in such a way that it needs to be italicized. 


4 comments:

  1. I don't think it looks like an apron at all! It's a very cute skirt, where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute outfit! That's actually one of the things that I miss about working...wearing cute outfits. And I'm definitely not getting an apron vibe from your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look cute!!! I absolutely love the recreation and don't think it's an apron ;)

    definitely "Anne Hathaway" to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! Don't worry, I'm okay with my outfit. Does no one else find it hilarious that this guy naturally assumed I had worn an apron to work as part of my ensemble??

    The skirt is from Zara, and also prompted the custodian on my floor (who apparently moonlights as part of the fashion police force) to tell me I was "clownin like a sista".

    ReplyDelete