Sunday, March 14, 2010

run, dandy, run

I've always been a runner. Sort of.

My first race. I'm the one chilling in the stroller.

When I was in the third grade, I won a 3 foot tall trophy for being the fastest kid (girls and boys).

Fast forward to today: I can run for about 3 minutes before I realize all the better things i could be doing with my time.

There are a few reasons for this. First of all, I try to go light on anything that might build muscle in my legs, lest they end up like my dad's:


No offense dad... those are impressive. Just not on me:)

And second of all... well, that was actually my only good reason. Which is why I've decided to get over my fear of ginormoquads and run a 5k.



I haven't actually signed up yet, but I figure once I tell the whole world/my 27 followers, I'll have to do it.

My mom had Parkinson's and I think she would love to know that i was running this race. I also think she would approve of all the purchases that go along with starting to run: new shoes, moisture wicking running gear (I bet she'd
love Lululemon). Because let's face it, that cool running hoodie I'm rocking in the stroller just doesn't fit anymore.

I'm not going to ask you for money or anything, so here's what you can do to help: in the comments, convince Y that he should run with me. His excuse for not running is legit -- running gives him a migraine. However, here's what else is legit:
the 200+ dollars we just spent on preventive migraine medicine.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Yoni,

    I only have 2 reasons why you should run this 5k with your wife:

    1) I was diagnosed with Parkinson's this week (no, I am not kidding...it's been a long week). As more research is being conducted on Parkinson's, the younger people are getting diagnosed and therefore able to do more about it (like this preventative stuff I have to take for 45 days). Maybe your money will directly go towards research!

    2) My husband and I did our first 5k, 10k, and half-marathon last year as new runners. It awesome to have your life partner as your running partner! And this topic is super important to your wife...so support her! =)

    That is all. Oh and it is ONLY THREE MILES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool Dace! Love the old school pic. You could totally rock a 5K. That is also on my list of things to do. I absolutely SUCK at long-distance running though. I used to be a sprinter and I think my muscles are just geared for that (fast-twitch). My body does not agree with long distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about your news. :(

    Daci, How do you make me go from laughing at your dad leg mocking to feeling a wave of bittersweet sadness about the reason for the race?

    Yoni, RUN! (I have no awesome motivational speech here.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa! I want to give you a hug! I'm so sorry to hear that.

    Andi, is this why you can press 700 lbs? I demand a video of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yoni:
    1. I get migraines/bad headaches too and I'm pretty sure my neurologist has suggested various common causes such as hormones, red wine, chocolate, other dietary things, extreme weather shifts, etc. Don't remember hearing "exercise." Sac up! (Ok jk I'm sure this is legit but just take the preventative meds!)
    2. Buying exciting workout gear can be fun for the whole family, not just Daci!
    3. Okay, I'm saving my best for last: if you DO you might get a post on here about how awesome you are. If you DON'T I can pretty much foresee lots of intarweb ridicule happening on here...you don't want that, DO YOU?
    p.s. my friend's mom just did a 5K in Houston where you can bring your dog so please find one in Shreve to do with Ike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So what you're saying Sarah is if i don't run, things won't change?

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 of my last 6 posts have made fun of you. PS you encourage it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete