Sunday, April 4, 2010

retro blogging?

I love to read, but my choice of books is usually pretty questionable. Case in point: On my color coded bookshelf I've read the entire pink shelf but only two or three books out of the three black and white shelves. Funnily enough, black/white books are usually more respectable than pink ones.


I'm not doing too bad on the yellow books, either...

One of my favorite series of books might make my father in law (and his collection of world history books) raise his eyebrows, but surprisingly I don't think any of them are pink. They might as well be, since they are about high school and crushes, but the author's dry humor and sarcasm make me feel comfortable admitting that I read most of these books during or after college. Plus, since most of my friends read them, I have allies who can back me up when I say I sped through 3 Jessica Darling novels in 6 hours at the age of 24 but quietly sat in the background when JD Salinger died because I haven't read Catcher in the Rye. (It's on my list, OKAY?!)


(I have a point, I promise.)

Megan McCafferty, the author of the Jessica Darling books, has a blog. She calls it her (retro)blog and posts old pictures of herself and old journal entries she wrote and makes fun of herself. I love this idea! I love making fun of myself.


My retro blog title for this beautiful number would be something like: XXL Fred Flintstone T-shirt + Picking Your Toes in Public + Orange Soda Mustache + Huge Plastic Glasses = PURE AWESOME, aka, This is Why I Had No Friends.


I don't think I'll end up copying her idea, because a) I like to think I'm more creative than that and b) I'm not that funny, but I started looking through old journals just in case I needed material, and I stumbled across an old online journal from when I was 19.

(I'm getting reaaallly close to the point.)

My memory is broken, I think. Yoni will tell me a piece of trivia and I'll forget it 5 minutes later. I can't retain ANYTHING I learn in classes. I'll read a really interesting article about something and when I go to tell someone about it, I won't be able to remember any of the details. BUT: I remember what I was wearing on most given days when anything of mild importance happened. If you tell me you really like something, I'll most likely file it away and get it for you for your next birthday. And one time, when I was 19, a guy stepped on my foot at a crowded bar at LSU and then yelled at me for being in his way. I remember it like it was yesterday. He had blonde hair and looked vaguely like Abe from a season of Road Rules, back when people still watched that show.

6 years later, I'm on the elevator on my way in to work, 4 hours north of where we went to college, and he gets on. I recognize him immediately and call all of my friends - it had been a big deal when we were nineteen but apparently my friends have been too busy remembering important things (they all have masters degrees...) and have no recollection of this most important moment in my life.

After that initial elevator ride, that guy was on the elevator with me at least once a week. I would be behind him in line for coffee. We would be on the shuttle to the parking lot together. Every time it happened, I texted my friends and pleaded with them to remember. No luck. A few weeks ago, I found out that he is going to be a brain surgeon and I had no one to share this information with. I started to think I made the whole incident up because what kind of friend wouldn't remember a guy stepping on my foot 6 years ago and ruining my night?

Well, while browsing my old journal looking for material for a rip off of (retro)blog by Megan McCafferty, who writes some of my favorite books, I found PROOF: (See how my mishmash post came together all of the sudden)?


[29 Feb 2004|01:54am]

the new dirty dancing came out last night and all we wanted to do was dance. so me rache and dana went out to fred's to do just that. we get in the door, some guy steps on my foot, spins around and yells "WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING, BITCH!!!!"

how rude.


It happened! I knew it.

Thanks for the tip, 19 year old me. PS, Your run on sentences and excess of exclamation points are embarrassing me and I will never share you with anyone. I'm also going to pretend I didn't just find an entry where you admitted that you wanted a trucker hat.

I know at least some of you out there had blogs before they were blogs... care to share any wisdom from your younger selves?

6 comments:

  1. September 7, 2002

    A lot has happened in about 2 weeks. First and most importantly, I turned 18! That's such a big step in my life. I feel like I'm getting old. Soon I will no longer be a teenager! It's weird seeing myself get old. I'm sure I'm going to like the rest of my life but I'm definitely going to miss my youth. You just can't get away with things when you're old. Am I going to not like pop music or talk differently when I'm like 45? Very insane...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I can totally see 45 year old Kathy still knowing every N Sync song by heart. 45 year old Daci will too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a) I LOVE your color-coded bookshelves, and if I owned more colorful books, would totally steal your idea.

    b) I purposely deleted my entire livejournal account years ago so I could NOT look back at my "meaningful" posts of song lyric.

    c) You have inspired me to start a blog (which I apparently don't know how to function yet because I accidentally deleted my first comment)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Ange, I was secretly hoping you would read this and post something amazing from your LJ. You just ruined my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the late post; I'm a little behind on reading your blog, so I spend my free (...ok the past 3 hours) time at work going back through them. Please don't think I'm crazy. You're so entertaining and a wonderful writer!

    It needs to be noted that your Fred Flintstone picture was taken at MY HOUSE. I recognize those beautiful wood paneled walls and feaux-leather couches. "PURE AWESOME, aka, This is Why I Had No Friends" needs to be revised, my friend!

    ReplyDelete